Can any of us beat this ?

Lighty

Drives a Twizy - should be banned
Cars owned: Porsche 997 GT3RS, Ariel Nomad, , Renault Twizy, Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory Yaris GR
This is very interesting, especially when a lot of us know this course so well now

I wouldn't even get vaguely close.

Sharp driving.

Love the way he uses the kerbs a few times to improve the line, couldn't do that in my RS, the bumpy section is really bad in a car as well, bet that Impreza has some trick suspension fitted .

One of the most under-rated drivers there's been is Mark - On home soil he is almost impossible to beat! interesting how much slower the Subaru is on the run up to Guthrie's, on The Mountain Mile and up Hailwood's rise compared to the majority of our stuff.
Very well driven and he caught that slide well coming out of Rhencullen 1!

BTW - Lighty - Haven't I always said The Mountain is the easy part??!! :)

BTW - Lighty - Haven't I always said The Mountain is the easy part??!! :)

Looking at that video, I can see you are right !

I've driven the mountain really hard in the Macca :)

I'd love to have a go and see if I could beat it.....

Henry, over the mountain section, the Macca can pull 20MPH + faster on the Mountain Mile and even quicker up Hailwood's rise so would beat the Subaru over the Mountain :)

We had over 180mph showing and up in the high 150s to 160s for most of the rest of the mountain earlier this summer when it was lovely and dry.
I should have met up with you Julian but the time flew by. It was great to bump in to you at the Southern 100 though.

You drive ?!

Listen fish-face I was driving fast cars, fast before you could even say 'brmm brmms'...

Even competed in the Penralt Acuf Mountain Rally/Hillclimb a few times in the 70s in my modified Alfa Romeo.

No 4wd, no LSd, solid rear axle, no power steering, no barriers and no fucking sense!

Then I was the organiser and competitor in the only UK road-race events of the 90s, illegal as it gets, dangerous as hell itself.

I can pedal a car long quite well, but the driving in the video is the result of a concerted effort to get everything out of a car that fits you like a second skin, you are looking at a huge amount of hard work and concentration, it's impressive.

I concur :) - Kettle's always on mate. Stop by anytime..

Listen fish-face I was driving fast cars, fast before you could even say 'brmm brmms'...

Even competed in the Penralt Acuf Mountain Rally/Hillclimb a few times in the 70s in my modified Alfa Romeo.

No 4wd, no LSd, solid rear axle, no power steering, no barriers and no fucking sense!

Then I was the organiser and competitor in the only UK road-race events of the 90s, illegal as it gets, dangerous as hell itself.

I can pedal a car long quite well, but the driving in the video is the result of a concerted effort to get everything out of a car that fits you like a second skin, you are looking at a huge amount of hard work and concentration, it's impressive.

Bet the Alfa was positively brimming with feel in such a purists state

Bet the Alfa was positively brimming with feel in such a purists state

It was... real feel, not the anodyne stuff of today's sportscars.

It is information overload for a modern driver that is used to being cosseted.

I recall Lewis Hamilton trying to drive a 70s F1 car and was simply swamped by the endless stream of direct inputs to the hands, feet and fingers then there is the slide and yaw (all unmoderated) that attacks the inner ear, the hips and the back, raw he called it I think.

Watch this video, if you go to about 2mins in you'll see (apart from the colour, mine was Black with no22 on the sides and bonnet) exactly the car I drove all those years ago, also I ran JAPearce alloys as they were the strongest at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcqLWR20-Kw

One of the most under-rated drivers there's been is Mark - On home soil he is almost impossible to beat!
I totally agree. I have also sat next to his brother David in the forests of wales. He can also drive:eeek:

M25 racing?

I totally agree. I have also sat next to his brother David in the forests of wales. He can also drive:eeek:

Back when the Celtic Tiger still roared Mark used to spend quite a bit of time in my neck of the woods trying to make fat, middle aged rally drivers with too much money a bit less useless in their cars, he became friendly with a couple of mates of mine, both of who rated him as the finest driver they had ever sat with...a seriously talented pilot, in anything.

Back