Converting a Ferrari Enzo to RHD

Trevor K

Stutt9art VIP
Cars owned: Landrover Discovery, BMW M3, Ferrari F430, Ducati 1199 Panigale
Has anyone ever heard of a Ferrai Enzo being converted to Right hand Drive, with the engine out the back I would assume it would be pretty straightforward.
I know there are a few examples of the F40 and F50 which have been converted but I am pretty sure these were done at the factory prior to delivery. In fact many F40's already have the holes located to convert them.
I import vehicles from the USA and have them converted to RHD which is a big job as the motors are usually in the front and requires modification to the firewall.
The end result is perfect though.
I am wondering if the F1 superfast Gearbox from the 599 GTO would fit onto it too, I guess the good folk at DK Engineering might be able to answer that one.

Hi Trevor

Welcome to our little forum

I have heard of a small number of RHD Enzo's....can't remember much more than that though

Really ? Never knew there were rhd about.....

Not heard of rhd Enzos, there were some rhd F40s and F50s though. Conversion is easier than some because gearbox/engine shouldn't need changing. Not sure why the gearbox would need changing, it's right at the back of the car!

What needs changing is steering/dashboard and the main issues are what would get in the way of the steering column when moved, usually fuel tanks and lots of electrics etc.....

A conversion by anyone other than the factory would destroy the value of the car though.

I don't see the point of converting a flappy paddle car tbh

Where I live we drive on the left hand side of the road which makes driving a LHD car very difficult. I have a company that imports American cars and have them converted to RHD so I have lots of opportunities to sample this. It's not great.
I intend to keep this car forever so it needs to fit my lifestyle, I think getting a reputable shop to do the work would not devalue it at all, in fact I believe the opposite would occur. Witness the F40's and F50's that have been converted and the prices the have sold for.
When we convert Mustang's, F150's, Camaro's and the like the end result is better than factory in every case.

Where I live we drive on the left hand side of the road which makes driving a LHD car very difficult. I have a company that imports American cars and have them converted to RHD so I have lots of opportunities to sample this. It's not great.
I intend to keep this car forever so it needs to fit my lifestyle, I think getting a reputable shop to do the work would not devalue it at all, in fact I believe the opposite would occur. Witness the F40's and F50's that have been converted and the prices the have sold for.
When we convert Mustang's, F150's, Camaro's and the like the end result is better than factory in every case.

I perfectly believe it's possible to improve Mustang/Camaros as the original build quality is poor. We drive on the left in England too and I've owned several lhd cars and found it not an issue, other than the irritation at ticket barriers. In a fast car it's not a problem on the road.

You are however mistaken about why the rhd F40/F50 are worth so much. They were factory-built and are very rare, that is why they are so valuable, they are a collectible factory car. An aftermarket conversion would not be valued highly in the rest of the world, but might be ok for Australia where I believe they only allow rhd to be driven.

I perfectly believe it's possible to improve Mustang/Camaros as the original build quality is poor. We drive on the left in England too and I've owned several lhd cars and found it not an issue, other than the irritation at ticket barriers. In a fast car it's not a problem on the road.

You are however mistaken about why the rhd F40/F50 are worth so much. They were factory-built and are very rare, that is why they are so valuable, they are a collectible factory car. An aftermarket conversion would not be valued highly in the rest of the world, but might be ok for Australia where I believe they only allow rhd to be driven.

I have to agree with Guy. The factory converted RHD F40's and F50's (5 of each), were at the request of, and for the Sultan of Brunei. That is provenience in itself. These were modified pre-sale and sold as "New" RHD cars, not retrospectively modified. That is a major factor.

To modify an Enzo, retrospective or not will mean you need to produce new carbon composite tooling in a handed format to enable the replacement of those elements that are bare weave carbon to be replicated for the new steering format. The likelihood of you getting carbon weave and resin colouring to match that of a 2004 car some ten years on, will be hard enough in itself so again, the odds are stacked against you making this nothing but your on holy grail. I would suspect, respectfully, that a self-modified Enzo to the order that you are looking to do will likely become a Jonah rather than collectors desire but as you have said that you don't intend to ever sell it, this most likely wont be your concern.

Bet of luck regardless and do keep us up to speed with how things go

I have to agree with Guy. The factory converted RHD F40's and F50's (5 of each), were at the request of, and for the Sultan of Brunei. That is provenience in itself. These were modified pre-sale and sold as "New" RHD cars, not retrospectively modified. That is a major factor.

To modify an Enzo, retrospective or not will mean you need to produce new carbon composite tooling in a handed format to enable the replacement of those elements that are bare weave carbon to be replicated for the new steering format. The likelihood of you getting carbon weave and resin colouring to match that of a 2004 car some ten years on, will be hard enough in itself so again, the odds are stacked against you making this nothing but your on holy grail. I would suspect, respectfully, that a self-modified Enzo to the order that you are looking to do will likely become a Jonah rather than collectors desire but as you have said that you don't intend to ever sell it, this most likely wont be your concern.

Bet of luck regardless and do keep us up to speed with how things go
You guys may well be right, I was wondering if Pininfarina or someone like that might take the project on. I guess even talking to Ferrari direct mat end up with positive results.
I make some enquiries on my own. I haven't bought the car yet and will hold off doing so until I can get an idea of what can be achieved.
Maybe just settling for an F12 N largo may have to do.

Back