Ferrari F1 Team

Apolo1

Cars owned: Few Porsches, and others
What a come back, FA must be kicking himself.....

Haven't seen the results..... I take it Ferrari were placed higher than last... :(clap):

You can really see the change in management has just opened the team up in the way they work - from an outsiders perspective they seem to have gone from a dictator to a motivator style and its paying back in spades.

Has the new guy changed the team much or has he lucked out walking into the team when they have turned the corner with the car?

Has the new guy changed the team much or has he lucked out walking into the team when they have turned the corner with the car?
They changed a huge number of people in the winter - big clearout. No doubt there is a bit of luck but I just get the impression from what you see on TV he is a real "lead from the front" type of person.

They changed a huge number of people in the winter - big clearout. No doubt there is a bit of luck but I just get the impression from what you see on TV he is a real "lead from the front" type of person.

They also have the lead techs from the wind Tunnel at Cologne now working for em on aero...

In the middle of last year Ferrari bought into a very expensive bit of software...

It is this and not Management that has changed their fortunes, the cars are better designed and the power-train is cohesive rather than antagonistic.

That is the reality.

It's the Computer what's done it.

Personality works for tyre changes (but they were faster last year) and getting the cars ready to race (which happened last year too) I won't be employing anyone from here to improve my business in the near or possibly distant future, you're too easily distracted by personalities rather than getting to the nub of the issue.

It is the British Business disease.

You are all fired.

Look it another way

It took Mercedes one season to master the new engine regs, and Ferrari 2 seasons...It's much easier to catch up, when you have been shown the potential way.

Also there would have been a huge amount of political pressure to ensure Ferrari caught up....perhaps a blind eye to bit of testing..engine dev etc

We now need Honda a bit of relaxation to allow them to improve..we could then have one of the most competitive seasons ever..

Not sure why...I'm really starting to like Vettle now he's in a Ferrari...and "out performing"

Last edited:
In the middle of last year Ferrari bought into a very expensive bit of software...

It is this and not Management that has changed their fortunes, the cars are better designed and the power-train is cohesive rather than antagonistic.

That is the reality.

It's the Computer what's done it.

Personality works for tyre changes (but they were faster last year) and getting the cars ready to race (which happened last year too) I won't be employing anyone from here to improve my business in the near or possibly distant future, you're too easily distracted by personalities rather than getting to the nub of the issue.

It is the British Business disease.

You are all fired.
May be in your business that works. But in my experience a combination of factors with excellence in leadership will cause performance to turn the corner. Yes new tools and techniques are critical. However, great tool operated by a dysfunctional team equals big investment and still crap out.

May be in your business that works. But in my experience a combination of factors with excellence in leadership will cause performance to turn the corner. Yes new tools and techniques are critical. However, great tool operated by a dysfunctional team equals big investment and still crap out.

If you think about this...

It's a very tech-centric regime, F1. It is 99% tech and perhaps 1% management, of that 1% you'd be hard pushed to give "management personality" more than half of it.

The real skill is in the structure allowing a person who is on the design edge to be able to ask his "line manager" for something that he thinks will do the job better.

That or something similar is quite possibly what happened last year.

The alternative of course is that last year the management was approached to upgrade... but all that happened last year.

The risk is with F1 that it slips into the stupid and largely hopeless abyss that Football Management has fallen into... and that is a fucking joke.

So forget the idea that in this particular sport it's about personality... cars are not like girly football players you can't bullshit a car into getting out of bed early and not fucking whores the night before a big match.

Again, I do despair of the UK's crap understanding of real management issues.

Almost all F1 activities are a "drill"... like being in the Army, ask a new recruit for a full "dress salute" and he'll fuck it up, train him and 20 minutes later you could cut a slice of bacon on the sharpness of it.

The same applies to F1 activities... it is now almost robotic, a full uniform dress salute on passing out day.

I think I've become too used to working with Yanks with proper Business degrees who can keep sight of the ball.

If you think about this...

It's a very tech-centric regime, F1. It is 99% tech and perhaps 1% management, of that 1% you'd be hard pushed to give "management personality" more than half of it.

The real skill is in the structure allowing a person who is on the design edge to be able to ask his "line manager" for something that he thinks will do the job better.

That or something similar is quite possibly what happened last year.

The alternative of course is that last year the management was approached to upgrade... but all that happened last year.

The risk is with F1 that it slips into the stupid and largely hopeless abyss that Football Management has fallen into... and that is a fucking joke.

So forget the idea that in this particular sport it's about personality... cars are not like girly football players you can't bullshit a car into getting out of bed early and not fucking whores the night before a big match.

Again, I do despair of the UK's crap understanding of real management issues.

Almost all F1 activities are a "drill"... like being in the Army, ask a new recruit for a full "dress salute" and he'll fuck it up, train him and 20 minutes later you could cut a slice of bacon on the sharpness of it.

The same applies to F1 activities... it is now almost robotic, a full uniform dress salute on passing out day.

I think I've become too used to working with Yanks with proper Business degrees who can keep sight of the ball.
PMSL my experience is completely different to that. Yes I have worked for large US centric engineering manufacturing businesses (As in, I was employed by). Some great people and some crap. No difffernet to here, Germany, South Korea, China and so on...

I agree that a large % of the op is drill based but you could argue the same about most organisations - ie manufacturing - get your product and process nailed and then repeat production process by turning handle of sausage machine and sticking to process. But you have to get the product and process right to start with - right team of people, engaged and focused, right tools and right direction and away you go.

Quite how you can achieve any of that with out the right direction from the top is clearly beyond me to comprehend :) To be clear, I am not saying the new guy running the show has turned everything around on his own - that would be a ridiculous thing to say! I am saying that he has had a clear out, seemingly now surrounded himself with some very good "line managers", given them the tools to do the job and told them to execute their own tasks.

Quite how you can achieve any of that with out the right direction from the top is clearly beyond me to comprehend :) To be clear, I am not saying the new guy running the show has turned everything around on his own - that would be a ridiculous thing to say! I am saying that he has had a clear out, seemingly now surrounded himself with some very good "line managers", given them the tools to do the job and told them to execute their own tasks.

This car was designed last year.

Your argument falls there I think.

This years change is yet to be tested, because the regime that brought this car to the track is not the present one... it is just that the present one has control of it.

We will only see how capable this regime actually is is next year and perhaps toward the end of this year.

Toward the end of this year the others will all be improving... do Ferrari keep up, go ahead or fall back.

I suggest that it is only then that any "It's the management what done it" can be claimed... either way.

Back