05/06/07 era SL65 - Talk to me.

Oirish Kev

Stutt9art VIP
Cars owned: Two Frogs and Two Krauts. One black sheep
Anyone had one? What are they like?

K

Mum had an sl65 upon release I used to steal all the time. In all honesty was only bought cause it was top of the range. I was young and didn't know the perils of turbos. It is very fast Kev, even by today's Supercar standards. 738lbs ! Trouble was it had very little character....especially if you had a 55 beforehand. If you want an SL I say find a great 55

Wow - That surprises me. Is the 55 that good?

Mum had an sl65 upon release I used to steal all the time. In all honesty was only bought cause it was top of the range. I was young and didn't know the perils of turbos. It is very fast Kev, even by today's Supercar standards. 738lbs ! Trouble was it had very little character....especially if you had a 55 beforehand. If you want an SL I say find a great 55

I think Sam has called it correctly Kev. The SL65 is like Thors mighty hammer when on the gas but it is kind of sterile at the same time. The SL 55 does everything just as well except for ultimate poke but you won't be left wanting in this department for what this car is for I can tell you. As 55's are less than half the cost of 65's' the smart money buys a mint low mileage 55 every time.

Angus would disagree of course............

tbh, even the sl55 was a bit boring once the amusement value of the noise had worn off

tbh, even the sl55 was a bit boring once the amusement value of the noise had worn off

It's a fast cruiser rather than sports car. Just depends in what you want

I don't agree Andrew. The car is very capable all round and can cover huge distances very quickly, and running with the very best of them too. I enjoyed mine in the twisties and on the straights. I loved it at night with the roof down especially or up but you are right, the noise is very very good. Like a Messerschmitt making an attack dive.

It's a fast cruiser rather than sports car. Just depends in what you want
what we wanted was to beat the company record for the highest speed attained in one of their press demo cars
hth

I don't agree Andrew. The car is very capable all round and can cover huge distances very quickly, and running with the very best of them too. I enjoyed mine in the twisties and on the straights. I loved it at night with the roof down especially or up but you are right, the noise is very very good. Like a Messerschmitt making an attack dive.

are you 6'3" and were you at brooklands the other day ?

are you 6'3" and were you at brooklands the other day ?

No, 6'8" and yes, I was there. I was parked near your car.

The SL65 have a bad reputation for reliability...SL55 is a pretty bulletproof engine...think all that era of SL have issues with the roof at some stage

If you're not used to having to spend ( significant) money on maintenance Kev then a ten year old, 12 cylinder ( with cylinder shut off) biturbo car with an essentially quite flaky suspension system and a complicated folding roof may not be the car for you.

Price a coil pack for any of the V12 R230 cars too... they are made of cheese and fail regularly.

I'm not trying to put you off but go in with your eyes wide open, though while I haven't driven a 65, I've driven and worked on several 55's and 600 n/a & biturbo's and the previous advice about trying an SL55 has merit.
The running costs can still be significant, but good one is a great car, they make a fantastic noise and are less nose heavy than the 12cyl.

And this is why I thought I would ask. Thanks All. So I'm turning the ship towards the SL55 now.

How are these? I know the seals go on the roof of the chassis and can be very expensive. Anything else?

Google "Mercedes ABC suspension".......

And this is why I thought I would ask. Thanks All. So I'm turning the ship towards the SL55 now.

How are these? I know the seals go on the roof of the chassis and can be very expensive. Anything else?

Probably the best 14k car I ever bought. The radio was shit (low spec from new), the rest was absolutely ace Kev. Driven carefully, 23-25mpg but be prepared, it's really a 16mpg car because you'll love the noise it makes when on chat too much. It's way faster than you'll believe too.

Back