How much of an F1 cars performance is the driver?

ScottL

Stutt9art VIP
Cars owned: German and English
In modern F1, what percentage of the performance is the driver vs the car itself?

Or to put it another way could any driver on the grid win the race driving a Mercedes?

Was reading an article this morning that quoted a study by a major F1 team. What do you reckon they concluded the driver adds to the equation?

90% car 10% driver for the top guys.

The fact is that Alonso and Button can barely make top 10/15 in a terrible McLaren, when they'd almost certainly be on the front two rows in a Mercedes.

Fernando was 3 secs off the qualifying pace at Silverstone vs Lewis, I doubt in the same car they'd be more than a 0.25-0.5 sec apart.

I did not read it but reckon the driver adds more than they'd be given credit for. Over a single and clear lap there would probably be very little in it. But seeing the differences between very capable team mates this year there clearly is a distinction between top class and average. The big difference comes from dealing with difficult conditions, be it weather or when the race gets mixed up with SC etc. Also, where for example Michael Schumacher made a huge difference was the ability to develop the car and basically make the whole team work around him. Not many can do that. I think the proof is in the huge amounts that are paid for some of the drivers.

It's got be mostly the car, yes yes, some of the TOP boys will always have an edge, that's life.

What I also find funny is people saying "they are the best drivers in the world", ok, so drop LH in a Supercup race & he'll run away with it, yeah, sure.

...in the first instance it is the car...ie LH in a Macca may not be able to overhaul a lesser driver in a Merc.
...however, each driver gets to deploy their discipline according to their talent. I was speaking to Chandok about this at FOS and he was saying that LH has bags of natural talent and can party all weekend and then turn up at an F1 event and be at the sharp end straight away, whereas NR has to spend a greater amount of time studying, discussing, and analysing to get to the same level of performance.

In the dry delta is less clear... When wet it's quite obvious who's the natural, few of them stands out.

But there is more to it.. Teams need leader chaps that can drive the car and team forward. Pay cheques (size) is another good indicator of who is appreciated.

. I was speaking to Chandok about this at FOS and he was saying that LH has bags of natural talent and can party all weekend and then turn up at an F1 event and be at the sharp end straight away, whereas NR has to spend a greater amount of time studying, discussing, and analysing to get to the same level of performance.

This is the difference, IMO. The best of the best can be on it straight away, and in any conditions, which is why they are generally quick in the wet when things are changing constantly.

In the dim and distant past, I raced with a lot of the top guys at the time - Magnussen, Montoya, Webber, Franchitti, Heidfeld, Castro Neves and lots more. Montoya was the best, Magnsussen next in terms of talent if not ultimate achievements. The best had done it from very young, were in the best cars/karts more or less throughout their lives, had massive self-belief, and could turn it on immediately. I now realise there was a lot of behind the scenes prep going on that made it all look easier, but that's another thing, and nowadays everyone gets access to simulators etc.

One example - Formula 3000 race at Pau, very tight street circuit, barely flat out and blind entry kink on main straight at say 150mph. Some drivers were not quite flat by end of the weekend. Montoya took it flat on first lap of practice, having never driven there before. Having said that, his driving style didn't suit F3 cats which had more grip than power and needed more finesse. Magnussen if you might remember, won every F3 races one year, other than when he knocked himself out in qualifying!

I would say the actual time difference between best and worst F1 drivers (excepting real pay for seat pilots), is 0.5-0.7s per lap, circuit dependant. I can remember an F3000 race at San Marino where the whole 33 car field was within 1s in a single make formula, even though some teams/budgets were much better than others (which is my excuse..!)

In the dry delta is less clear... When wet it's quite obvious who's the natural, few of them stands out.

But there is more to it.. Teams need leader chaps that can drive the car and team forward. Pay cheques (size) is another good indicator of who is appreciated.

Good Point
I sat at the start of Abbey for the F1 race, there was a very fine dry line through the very fast right hander, every single driver went off, or ran very wide of the track at this point in the race.....Apart from one, he's on another level.....lap after lap turned in at the exact same dry point each time

Last edited:
...in the first instance it is the car...ie LH in a Macca may not be able to overhaul a lesser driver in a Merc.
...however, each driver gets to deploy their discipline according to their talent. I was speaking to Chandok about this at FOS and he was saying that LH has bags of natural talent and can party all weekend and then turn up at an F1 event and be at the sharp end straight away, whereas NR has to spend a greater amount of time studying, discussing, and analysing to get to the same level of performance.

Name dropper.. :D:

Good Point
I sat at the start of Abbey for the F1 race, there was a very fine dry line through the very fast right hander, every single driver went off, or ran very wide of the track at this point in the race.....Apart from one, he's on another level.....lap after lap turned in at the exact same dry point each time

Max?

Differance between average car and the best (Merc) is at best 1.5% (2 seconds)

Difference between average driver and the best is probably at best 1% (3/4 seconds)

So an average driver in the best car would almost always be faster than the best driver in an average car.

Nope, actually there were 2 drivers that never went off at this point, Lewis and Button, even Alonso went crashing across the gravel into the tyre wall side on, waited a few seconds, found 1st gear, then drove across the gravel then back on the track..

Do any of you actually watch f1?

Hamilton is in another league to anyone else on the grid, Alonso is also fookin awesome however is fully aware of Hamiltons higher level of ability.

Button is usless.

Nope, actually there were 2 drivers that never went off at this point, Lewis and Button, even Alonso went crashing across the gravel into the tyre wall side on, waited a few seconds, found 1st gear, then drove across the gravel then back on the track..

Max and Lewis both went off at Abbey and took to the long side road until Village(?).

Infact Rosberg was one of the few that didn't....maybe he was not pushing to the same extent.
I would even suggest the hungrier / faster drivers were testing the limits of grip not the ones staying safe...

Max and Lewis both went off at Abbey and took to the long side road until Village(?).

Infact Rosberg was one of the few that didn't....maybe he was not pushing to the same extent.
I would even suggest the hungrier / faster drivers were testing the limits of grip not the ones staying safe...

I sat at Abbey, never saw lewis put a foot wrong, he kept over to the right the dry line, the left was faster but you risk going off, Ros had a big tank slapper and went onto to tarmac side road a few times....

I sat at Abbey, never saw lewis put a foot wrong, he kept over to the right the dry line, the left was faster but you risk going off, Ros had a big tank slapper and went onto to tarmac side road a few times....

I happened to watch a few minutes of highlights last night. He did :)

I happened to watch a few minutes of highlights last night. He did :)

I left my seat once to go to get a drink, never saw Lewis put a foot wrong at that point on the track......

Back