How much of an F1 cars performance is the driver?

So Hamilton and Rosberg are evenly matched over one lap. Put them both at the back of the field who would you bet on to get furthest toward the from? Don't think anyone would bet on Rosberg. So arguably qualifying performance over one lap isn't as important as "race craft" - if that's how you describe a drivers ability to create and execute overtaking moves.

Disagree with Radders here.....I think Verstappen will emerge to be in a class of his own. Hamilton not far behind. Not sure I'd call Button useless either. Agree that Alonso is fast but deeply emotionally flawed.

... Agree that Alonso is fast but deeply emotionally flawed.

The view from a few fellow racers is that Alonso is excellent in the car but his commercial judgement outside the car is suspect.

Over a single lap there is fuck all in it between most F1 drivers. It's when you start throwing in changeable conditions, consistency, race craft etc that differences show up!

F1 teams pay good drivers 10s of millions a year as it's one of the cheapest ways of adding performance, so the driver accounts for a bigger % than a lot of people would imagine

Wouldn't say he's useless, he's just in completely shit car, hope to see him at Williams next year....

Button has his ups and downs, but I genuinely think his in car footage when he was in the Brawn car was about the best driving I've seen in recent years. It was obviously the best car, but the way he drove it was so perfectly smooth and on the limit.

How often do you have 2 great cars and one driver who wins all the races? Senna, Prost, Schumi, Vettel etc. The driver still needs to be good, but he can do noting without a good car. All drivers on the grid today would not win as much as Hamilton or Rosberg in the same car IMHO.

Back