McLaren warranty.. (again)🙄

redfive

Forum moaning cnut and organiser of shit events
Cars owned: some
Probably the last time I ever deal with main dealers on my McLaren as I've burnt them all out now.... but...

Has anyone heard of Macca reducing the bodywork warrant on ther cars to 5 years?

My car is with Leeds at the minute and they're saying that the numerous small corrosion issues won't be dealt with....they say .....

" The anti corrosion warranty is 5 years now, not 10 due to McLaren"

(I know those words make no sense at all but I quote them verbatim)

....so they won't address the issues under warranty! Even though six months ago they replaced the bonnet and front wings under the same warranty!

Anyone know anything about that?.. surely a manufacturer can't just decide that they won't honour the warranty they stated at the point of sale??

These guys are clearly totally committed to driving all of their after sales business directly into the hands of our friend JT

Yes, changed late last year. It's something to do with what type of corrosion it is. I don't know the ins and outs but loads of claims have been rejected recently, something to do with oxidisation or along those lines. I luckily got my 675LT corrosion claim in before the car turned 5 years last year so they had to honour it and luckily I got some nice new carbon louvres in the process as well. It's shit mate but apparently if you look at the wording with regards to the corrosion warranty I believe officially they are right and all other corrosion claims they've been not following the true letter of that wording.

Sadly yes.

It was always 5 years for corrosion and 10 years for perforation but what they have done is re define what each means and knock out all cars post 5 years. It is, as you say shit.

There are numerous people challenging it and from what I gather all are winning before it gets to court as really mclaren cannot do this legally but of course they work on the premise that most will moan and complain then just sell the car. Tell them to get fucked, send in a solicitors letter and they will likely cave in at that point.

On a 12c its actually water vapour building up between the laminate of the panel itself so needs replacing. On a the ali panels (sports series mainly) its an oxidisation of the primer and the metal itself going wrong so if its rubbed down to metal and repainted it will be fine.

In short, its shit

It's as if they wish to make it hard to want to buy a McLaren.........

It's as if they wish to make it hard to want to buy a McLaren.........

You try working on them. I've 23 cars here at the moment, they get worked on as parts arrive, there is no method to it, they just arrive without any logic to any of it.

Probably the last time I ever deal with main dealers on my McLaren as I've burnt them all out now.... but...

Has anyone heard of Macca reducing the bodywork warrant on ther cars to 5 years?

My car is with Leeds at the minute and they're saying that the numerous small corrosion issues won't be dealt with....they say .....

" The anti corrosion warranty is 5 years now, not 10 due to McLaren"

(I know those words make no sense at all but I quote them verbatim)

....so they won't address the issues under warranty! Even though six months ago they replaced the bonnet and front wings under the same warranty!

Anyone know anything about that?.. surely a manufacturer can't just decide that they won't honour the warranty they stated at the point of sale??

These guys are clearly totally committed to driving all of their after sales business directly into the hands of our friend JT

I’d leave it at Leeds and buy something else like one of those new Alfas Mark has just bought.

Heard a number of bad stories about McLaren warranty recently so much so that I decided not to renew my 675 warranty when it expired a few weeks back and will send it to V Engineering for all future services and any issues.
The guys there are fantastic - strongly recommend.

https://www.v-engineering.co.uk/

We now warranty over 150 cars now. Most are multiple years so we are doing something right nearly all are from owners ditching the Mclaren warranty as we cover more and are cheaper.

Last edited:
I very nearly bought a 720s again this week ( for a second time as the first one they couldn’t get parts for to pass it’s used car checks). Got cold feet due to concerns like this. Such a shame as they are great cars in all other respects

I very nearly bought a 720s again this week ( for a second time as the first one they couldn’t get parts for to pass it’s used car checks). Got cold feet due to concerns like this. Such a shame as they are great cars in all other respects

I'd still buy one. They are epic cars.
I bought a 675 a few weeks ago. Loving it

Heard a number of bad stories about McLaren warranty recently so much so that I decided not to renew my 675 warranty when it expired a few weeks back and will send it to V Engineering for all future services and any issues.
The guys there are fantastic - strongly recommend.

https://www.v-engineering.co.uk/

I’m one of the investors in V-engineering. Top guys and they have helped me with some issues on the P1.

I’m one of the investors in V-engineering. Top guys and they have helped me with some issues on the P1.

Good work Jason.
They’re certainly held in very high regards with 675 owners….

Had the best day in my 675lt yesterday, nothing could of matched it for performance. Drove 160 mile to silverstone in comfort, destroyed everything there including race cars, drove the 160 mile back home and the car felt like it had just come out of the showroom. It got a pasting and it was perfect. Sat and admired it with a beer when i landed back home, smitten

Had the best day in my 675lt yesterday, nothing could of matched it for performance. Drove 160 mile to silverstone in comfort, destroyed everything there including race cars, drove the 160 mile back home and the car felt like it had just come out of the showroom. It got a pasting and it was perfect. Sat and admired it with a beer when i landed back home, smitten

They are fun.

I've got a few here at the moment, a full carbon body one and a carbon spider with full carbon bodywork. List was £480k with the carbon spider roof. Lovely

Tbh it just reminded me how good my old 12c was, i did 20k miles in that and mostly driving to the track including Spa several times.

Dunny, get yours to the track if you haven't already!

Tbh it just reminded me how good my old 12c was, i did 20k miles in that and mostly driving to the track including Spa several times.

Dunny, get yours to the track if you haven't already!

i got a 12C spider last year on your recommendation of how much you loved your 12C mark.
and i have to say, i abosolyely love it. gone to sell it few times but then dont as i drive it and love it. understated, fast, comfortable, capable and i love the perfect balance between it feeling mechanical and modern. such a great all rounder for a sunny day blast.

i got a 12C spider last year on your recommendation of how much you loved your 12C mark.
and i have to say, i abosolyely love it. gone to sell it few times but then dont as i drive it and love it. understated, fast, comfortable, capable and i love the perfect balance between it feeling mechanical and modern. such a great all rounder for a sunny day blast.

Spot on - I don't drive mine enough but every time I do I love how it feels... for the exact reasons you say.

I'm intrigued to read that you think the LT reminds you of the 12C though Mark, surely the LT is a step on in terms of performance though isn't it?

It wasn’t its first Rodeo [emoji6] [emoji56]

https://youtu.be/yyiEsHRyi1M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took mine to Goodwood last week. Wrong tyres for track (MPS4S) but was still animal and drive there and back was properly memorable

Back