Sending money to France help.

Bull996

Stutt9art VIP
Cars owned: 911 Turbo
Hi all

Need to send £101,000 to France next week.

Annyone know how I get best rate? (Which bank etc?)

Thanks

I used UK Forex when I bought my Superleggera last year. Got a WAY better rate than any bank would offer. However check what limit you may have transferring large amounts from you bank, as many have a stupid £10,000 limit unless you go into the branch with every ID known to man.

Have a look at TransferWise, you get the current exchange rate as it matches your transfer up with ones going the other way for a very small fee. I've used it twice with great success sending money to both Italy and Malta.

Transferwise website

I spoke to a couple of forex type companies and then spoke to my own bank (HSBC), who didn't want to be beaten. They then bettered the best offering and I let them do it.

Do not use a small, unknown forex entity. Not worth the risk. I know a former client who was fleeced of £1.2m by a dodgy forex transfer company.
Use a big bank.

I spoke to a couple of forex type companies and then spoke to my own bank (HSBC), who didn't want to be beaten. They then bettered the best offering and I let them do it.

That's interesting Nick. When I spoke to HSBC they said, they would see what they could do "On the day" when I needed to transfer. I asked them if they could quote and match my initial quote from UKForex, but they said I had to commit to them to match it? Told them to poke it, went with UK Forex and money transferred and received sameday in Germany. HSBC charged £30 to transfer to UK Forex but after they pissed me off massively after they wanted to "do additional security checks" and I escalated the complaint they refunded the fee.

That's interesting Nick. When I spoke to HSBC they said, they would see what they could do "On the day" when I needed to transfer. I asked them if they could quote and match my initial quote from UKForex, but they said I had to commit to them to match it? Told them to poke it, went with UK Forex and money transferred and received sameday in Germany. HSBC charged £30 to transfer to UK Forex but after they pissed me off massively after they wanted to "do additional security checks" and I escalated the complaint they refunded the fee.

Peter, this happened through my commercial manager so I suppose it was managed better that way.

Transferred cash with HSBC recently (private bank). They had already checked source of funds etc, and I went to bank to make transfer as £10k online limit.

All went ok I thought, but when I left HSBC apparently decided to ask for clearance from the NCIS (criminal) for money laundering. As a result my funds debited, but were frozen for 7 days, and no one woukd speak to me about it. (As in "I'm sorry sir, there is no one at HSBC who can tell you where your money is").

They were doing training when I went in, and I'm convinced they decided to show trainee how to follow procedures. I missed a commercial deadline, and if I hadn't had long relations with guys on the other side, could have been defaulted and sued.

No more HSBC for me, surprisingly enough!

I'll take it over for you in a suitcase if you like...... :(whew):

https://www.worldfirst.com/uk/login/

I have used these guys when I have bought cars and stuff in Europe and Switzerland - if below 10k you get a regular rate which is displayed if higher amounts you can call up for better rates. No fees or trans cost. You can also lock in a rate for future purchases. You can load money into your account ready for when you want to transact or do a chaps payment, finally for smaller amounts you can just use your debit or credit card.

So, in a nutshell really flexible, easy, all online and transparent. Hope this is useful.

Jus as a point of interest although the it's a 10k limit on online banking with Hsbc you don't have to go into the bank to do more, you can just use telephone banking and do as much as you like. Saves some time, they hang up call you back on registered number etc for security, takes about 10 minutes.

Have a look at TransferWise, you get the current exchange rate as it matches your transfer up with ones going the other way for a very small fee. I've used it twice with great success sending money to both Italy and Malta.

Transferwise website
I had missed this thread.

Another vote for these guys, they can do you a much better deal than the bank, I have just used them twice within the last month and saved thousands of £ss. When you request the quote it is valid for 24 hours unlike the bank where it can change within a few mins! Fast efficient service.:(y):

Back