Speedtail down!

4K that’s cheap as fuck
A proper x ray takes hours . I’ve sat through one with the Germans . Bloody well done

Exactly this

There are some benefits of knowing a lot of F1 teams, my engine builder builds Merc F1 engines, my carbon guy builds williams F1 tubs and my aero guy works for Redbull F1 in the cfd dept. All quite useful.

Yeah. Was a cost issue for the owner, new tub was £18k plus 60 hours labour to do the work. repair was £4k including xray charges

Will a Mac will repair a Tub? or write off for new TUB.? 18k sounds about right, I was told from one that would know that a 650 stands em in 45k In parts 720s 15k more, this for a reasonable spec coupes. 918 Tub cost is 120k

There are some benefits of knowing a lot of F1 teams, my engine builder builds Merc F1 engines, my carbon guy builds williams F1 tubs and my aero guy works for Redbull F1 in the cfd dept. All quite useful.
I expect no less from you mr Thorne

Will a Mac will repair a Tub? or write off for new TUB.? 18k sounds about right, I was told from one that would know that a 650 stands em in 45k In parts 720s 15k more, this for a reasonable spec coupes. 918 Tub cost is 120k

Trouble is I have heard about a certain P1 crash costing £1.5m to repair at MSO - or over £500k more than the cost the owner would have paid new (and tbh the car didn't look that bad...). At the time wasn't a write off as P1's were valued at more that. Insurance paid out and it totally fucked the premiums for P1's going forward - tbh think it had a bearing on all the big 3.

My guess is in todays market this is sadly a write off. If you look at a speedtail it has virtually no seams, huge panels, probably no back stock - crazy crazy crazy expensive. As its a trackday I can't see him having insurance cover. Divesting tbh. Good for him taking it on track. Hope its not all as bad as I fully expect..

Mac will repair a tub but seems to be in extreme circumstances and needs a lot of sign off from up high.

Trouble is I have heard about a certain P1 crash costing £1.5m to repair at MSO - or over £500k more than the cost the owner would have paid new (and tbh the car didn't look that bad...). At the time wasn't a write off as P1's were valued at more that. Insurance paid out and it totally fucked the premiums for P1's going forward - tbh think it had a bearing on all the big 3.

My guess is in todays market this is sadly a write off. If you look at a speedtail it has virtually no seams, huge panels, probably no back stock - crazy crazy crazy expensive. As its a trackday I can't see him having insurance cover. Divesting tbh. Good for him taking it on track. Hope its not all as bad as I fully expect..

Doesn't surprise me, we did a front end repair on P1, whole front end but sub frame was fine. Fi al bill was £85k (the front claim is £38k ffs). The estimate from a dealer (who was sending it back to mso) was £260k

Have had it confirmed the driver and passengers are fine DB10D017-2E99-4EDE-919A-9133CD91DC04.jpeg

It doesn’t look too bad, fixable at a cost and it’s the front end, so not as pricey as if the engine was involved....

The driver jumped in to his Senna to complete the track day

No wing mirrors makes all cars look odd to me

Oh I don’t know ;). I did consider adding door mirrors for practical reasons, but thought it sacrilege to drill the body :x:

Attachments

• 89315199-DBFB-4029-A986-DA63A9D4B1F8.jpeg
    89315199-DBFB-4029-A986-DA63A9D4B1F8.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

It’s the parts mark up, to be fair to Mac from what I have seen the dealers and body shops are also not shy in testing their billing software either on Mac replacement parts. It’s been said all ready on here Mac made around 500k on each P1 when new. Also don’t forget some insurance Cos make a decision to call a damaged car a cat D etc based on current Market value at the time, not what car cost when new. No idea of Speedtail Parts cost other than been told they make around 1.2 per car. 918s Insurance cost also went up after Paul Bs Malta affair, 140k for a front end clam mind you they are made from Forged reinforced GRP, which is 20% lighter than normal CF and very expensive to make.

Last edited:
Sad to see this and hope it isn't too bad.

Would love to do FUJI one day though!

918s Insurance cost also went up after Paul Bs Malta affair

Paul B's adventures were also responsible for a major rise in track day insurance back a few years ago.

Back