918, P1, Lafa, How Fast, Part 2

Was the Santa Pod surface prepped or not? Also did you do any burnouts to warm the tyres?

Henry and I did a fair bit of drag-racing at SantaPod years back and it's really all about the launch there.

I'd bet the 918 blitzed all there if the track was not prepped and the drivers not experienced at drag-racing. I'd bet simiar happened at Brunters where the surface has even less grip. However I'd also guess that 100-200mph the LaF and P1 would beat the 918 though.

Was the Santa Pod surface prepped or not? Also did you do any burnouts to warm the tyres?

Henry and I did a fair bit of drag-racing at SantaPod years back and it's really all about the launch there.

I'd bet the 918 blitzed all there if the track was not prepped and the drivers not experienced at drag-racing. I'd bet simiar happened at Brunters where the surface has even less grip. However I'd also guess that 100-200mph the LaF and P1 would beat the 918 though.

Hi G
Brunts was the best I have ever seen it,( Craig had it swept for last v-mx )none of us had a prob getting off the line...it was dry about 12mph cross wind...
At Santa, the surface felt very odd even when walking....they put some glue down to help 2 of the other cars, but one was still faster..

Was going to dial the pressure down and try for a faster time, but know how Lewis feels now when he puts in a hot pole lap, off you go guys...beat that......:(rofl):

Also not a good idea to Google crash's at Santa Pod at 5am in the morning. Lol....

Oh, track was swept and dried....

Will be interesting to see the data for the 100- 180 mph parts...

Last edited:
You're a bit grumpy for a Friday night, have you dropped a pound coin between your floor boards Yorkshireman ;)

I'm never grumpy, just don't like all this I know but not telling you shit.

I'm never grumpy, just don't like all this I know but not telling you shit.

No sense of Humour !!,but I agree it's not nice been left out in the cold,i will try to be more aware of your sensitivities next time !

No sense of Humour !!,but I agree it's not nice been left out in the cold,i will try to be more aware of your sensitivities next time !

Thankyou

Hi G
Brunts was the best I have ever seen it,( Craig had it swept for last v-mx )none of us had a prob getting off the line...it was dry about 12mph cross wind...
At Santa, the surface felt very odd even when walking....they put some glue down to help 2 of the other cars, but one was still faster..

Was going to dial the pressure down and try for a faster time, but know how Lewis feels now when he puts in a hot pole lap, off you go guys...beat that......:(rofl):

Also not a good idea to Google crash's at Santa Pod at 5am in the morning. Lol....

Oh, track was swept and dried....

Will be interesting to see the data for the 100- 180 mph parts...

Interesting, thats why I commented, I found Santa Pod incredibly slippery at times. I ran my 700hp R34 GTR there (weeks after doing 199mph on GPS with 4 big blokes in the car on the autobahn) and always experienced lots of wheelspin (but then it only ran 245s all-round and the 4wd is not permanent). The same car ran in the 9s at Pod after I sold it when the new owner added nitrous.

Interesting, thats why I commented, I found Santa Pod incredibly slippery at times. I ran my 700hp R34 GTR there (weeks after doing 199mph on GPS with 4 big blokes in the car on the autobahn) and always experienced lots of wheelspin (but then it only ran 245s all-round and the 4wd is not permanent). The same car ran in the 9s at Pod after I sold it when the new owner added nitrous.

To be honest Guy, I held back yesterday, mind set was, beat the other 2 and keep me and car in one piece..

To be honest Guy, I held back yesterday, mind set was, beat the other 2 and keep me and car in one piece..

All you have to do in a 918 is pin your foot on the throttle? Not sure what's so dangerous about that in a straight line?

All you have to do in a 918 is pin your foot on the throttle? Not sure what's so dangerous about that in a straight line?

agreed, zero skill required, all you have to do is make sure to put it into sport mode on the way back down at V-Max at 4-5k Rpm, to recharge the batts....

Santa Pod , track was wet when we arrived, walked down very slippy, not good to put down 1000bhp, 1300nm of torque, and just keep planted 5ft from a brick wall along with just hope for the best.....Even when they swept it and dried the track , still had wheel spin in every gear all the way through...

happy with result, 2 real Pro Drivers in the P1 and Lafa.....

Last edited:

Lol!!
:x:

Will be great to see the data - hopefully a bit more car sound on this video?

That's a little unfair, 2 pros against an ametour, seems everyone doing their best to put Porsches down these days.

Sounds a fun day D.

I responded to the other thread before looking at this one. Doh :)

I think from what has been said on this subject, and on this forum so many times before, the 918 taking honours in a drag race should not be a surprise at all. I'm still interested to see the video of course to see by just how much it won. I'm keen also to see the Brunters and Silverstone footage to see the difference their if as you say David, you kept something back at Santa Pod.

I'm also keen to see why you comment on having new respect for the LaF. I'm assuming that at Brunters it starts to really gain on the other two at the higher echelons of the race ?

I responded to the other thread before looking at this one. Doh :)

I think from what has been said on this subject, and on this forum so many times before, the 918 taking honours in a drag race should not be a surprise at all. I'm still interested to see the video of course to see by just how much it won. I'm keen also to see the Brunters and Silverstone footage to see the difference their if as you say David, you kept something back at Santa Pod.

I'm also keen to see why you comment on having new respect for the LaF. I'm assuming that at Brunters it starts to really gain on the other two at the higher echelons of the race ?

Santa
The track was damp when we arrived, if you had run down it you would have slipped over, they swept it and dried it. But the grip was not good, could feel the back end kick on gear change, and had wheel spin, so could not give it the full beans, at Brunts, just use LC and keep it planted...Could not do this at Santa, also did not want a repeat of the other week, only 5 ft from brick wall on the left.

Yep, lafa was coming up fast, be interesting to see the data

Was at Santa Pod 20 yrs ago, when we went to practice starts in F3. (They had loads of grip, not so much power. 0-60 in about 3.5s if I remember). Was very surprised how slippy surface was, had much less grip than a 'normal' track.

Agree with you that it wasn't just point and squirt (although we had no electronics). Couldn't really understand how the dragsters kept it straight with all their power!

Ref Santa
Had a practice run on my own, and used HL with foot to the floor, same as I have done at V-max, car stood still with wheel spin, and kicked out in every gear change, knew this would not set the fastest time. So used HL but not LC, just peddle to floor as fast as I could and shifted about 500-750 RPM shorter than what full auto would have given me. Was going to dial the tyres down for further run, left em at road pressures, but could feel rain was in the air

Also astonished how quick the batts recharged at V-Max, used LC HL mode started with 87% SOC, at the end of the run down to 65%, kept at 4-5k rpm, on the side road, when got back to the start line, back up to late 80% SOC

The Vid with the Lafa, will be epic.......

Last edited:
Santa
The track was damp when we arrived, if you had run down it you would have slipped over, they swept it and dried it. But the grip was not good, could feel the back end kick on gear change, and had wheel spin, so could not give it the full beans, at Brunts, just use LC and keep it planted...Could not do this at Santa, also did not want a repeat of the other week, only 5 ft from brick wall on the left.

Yep, lafa was coming up fast, be interesting to see the data

And there was me thinking that you'd mixed me up with the big ho ho ho dude.

Thanks Steve, amazing day

You saved the day David, glad you could join us.

Hoping to have the Santa Pod video published by Monday.. :)

You saved the day David, glad you could join us.

Hoping to have the Santa Pod video published by Monday.. :)

No prob Steve, hope the drone cam captured the race with the Lafa at Santa Pod...

Back