Kit cars...

A

AndyTheTailor

Keen to get your thoughts on kit cars gents....my brother has this MEV Exocet and I must say it’s a lot of fun to drive. The step up from this is the MEV Rocket and I’m wondering if it’s worth the £12-16k for a fun new toy..?

244536e75db66d5a4a62dfbb671c5543.jpg

0518f7729ffec301e080e9fc813274e8.jpg

02e02ac79364a2f38ee96829471c9b65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

I bought a kit (GBS Zero) in 2016, spent two years building it and put it on the road in August 2018.
Enjoyed the car but never really clicked with it. When I came to sell it I have so many people telling me it was worth peanuts (despite me putting over £25k into it).
I managed to find a buyer who thankfully really liked the car and was happy to pay what I thought it was worth. I honestly believe this was a fluke as otherwise I think it would still be sat here.

I would personally avoid kit cars going forward as they still have a real negative image. For me if I had £12/16K and wanted something of this ilk I'd be finding a couple of grand and grabbing this :-

https://www.targafloriocars.com/used/cars/caterham/seven/roadsport-limited-edition-9-of-30-1271

Regards

Tim

I’d agree - Caterham’s are the way to go. Can be upgraded along the way and won’t lose much money, with a lot more buyers than a kit car.
Just as much/more fun as well

Hi there,

I bought a kit (GBS Zero) in 2016, spent two years building it and put it on the road in August 2018.
Enjoyed the car but never really clicked with it. When I came to sell it I have so many people telling me it was worth peanuts (despite me putting over £25k into it).
I managed to find a buyer who thankfully really liked the car and was happy to pay what I thought it was worth. I honestly believe this was a fluke as otherwise I think it would still be sat here.

I would personally avoid kit cars going forward as they still have a real negative image. For me if I had £12/16K and wanted something of this ilk I'd be finding a couple of grand and grabbing this :-

https://www.targafloriocars.com/used/cars/caterham/seven/roadsport-limited-edition-9-of-30-1271

Regards

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim

I've known people who built kit cars in years gone by and they spent way more than they expected and much more than could have bought a decent fun car for. They are hard to sell for decent money and hard to buy as you never know how well they have been built.

There are also very few that either look or perform as well as 'real' cars'.

Bought an Ultima a few years ago, not a great experience and its only as good as the person building it! Constant state of improvement and a bit of a money pit. The only kit car I'd consider would be a Caterham. Lots of info out there and you are starting with a proven product!

Another vote for a Caterham! A good friend bought a boosted RAW Striker for £12k. It came with £40k of invoices for the build, not including the owner had 'built it' himself and the purchase price of the original kit...

325 BHP at the wheels with a CRAZY sized turbo attached to a 2.0l Blacktop. BOOOST!!!!! Pretty hard work to drive. All of the Caterhams I've driven have been a lot more fun, I want a Caterham bad!

Edit: I shared this on Tim's thread too :D, it was fun but I think I'd be quicker in a well setup Caterham with under half the BHP.

Depending what you want from it, might be worth looking at MX5s too. For that budget a super charged or BBR NC3.5 or an early ND would be a lot of bang for buck.

Last edited:
Or, get an Elise which should appreciate and sits between an MX5 and Caterham in terms of experience and usability (IMHO).

This MEV look like a 2CV without roof. :(-:

Caterham is the way to go!

That is the ugliest car I have ever seen!!

Even uglier than a Tesla Model 3 ...... and that takes some beating

FFS my eyes! you have damaged them

Wow!.... were the designers of that the ones who BMW rejected for the new front end designs? That's a shocking looking beast of a thing! Something only a mother could love I guess.

Kits cars, not constrained by safety regulations governing design etc. Why would you make something so ugly? The front looks like an angry Thomas the tank character

Keen to get your thoughts on kit cars gents....my brother has this MEV Exocet and I must say it’s a lot of fun to drive. The step up from this is the MEV Rocket and I’m wondering if it’s worth the £12-16k for a fun new toy..?

244536e75db66d5a4a62dfbb671c5543.jpg

0518f7729ffec301e080e9fc813274e8.jpg

02e02ac79364a2f38ee96829471c9b65.jpg

Respectfully to you and your brother Andy and i dont scare easily but thing looks like a potential death trap to me. You’d not get my arse in one i can tell thee.

If you must do one, do the Caterham like others have said as you can at least get out of them once you’ve done with it.

That is the ugliest car I have ever seen!!

Even uglier than a Tesla Model 3 ...... and that takes some beating

FFS my eyes! you have damaged them

Hahahahaha

Kits cars, not constrained by safety regulations governing design etc. Why would you make something so ugly? The front looks like an angry Thomas the tank character

Literally can’t unsee Thomas the tank engine now [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Wow!.... were the designers of that the ones who BMW rejected for the new front end designs? That's a shocking looking beast of a thing! Something only a mother could love I guess.

Our mother actually hates it and thinks it’s a death trap and think he looks a tool driving it

Respectfully to you and your brother Andy and i dont scare easily but thing looks like a potential death trap to me. You’d not get my arse in one i can tell thee.

If you must do one, do the Caterham like others have said as you can at least get out of them once you’ve done with it.

It really is. Loose nuts and bolts everywhere!

That kit car is so terrible that I actually had a nightmare about it and woke up at 3.30am not being able to sleep again!

Thanks for that Andy. See you at 2.30pm for some new threads.

50dcdf61acfbf936f8a9ab2a54b19a2b.png

And fancy painting it Ginger ! Whatever was he thinking.

Back