991 gt3 brakes, steel to carbon

Mechanicalrepairs

Stutt9art VIP
Cars owned: Too many Current, yaris gr, Audi R8 gt Renault Megane trophy r
Hi, my names Carl, long time lurker. Loving the forum, hoping someone may have done this swop and have the answers.

Managed to find myself a set of carbon brakes, rotors pads etc etc

Stripped the car down and cleaned up the old set etc, unsure whether I will sell these yet or stash them away safe for when the Nurburgring track days are upon us.

All covered in a cleaning agent and ready to wash down

At this point I stripped out the old units and put them aside

As you can imagine I am like a kid in a candy store and can't wait to get the new units all bolted up, that's when I hit a little issue, unsure what they are called but basically the five lugs that go through the steel rotors will not fit through the bells on the carbon set up, as you can imagine, I was gutted.

Has anyone done the conversion, I take it I can buy replacements of these that are a smaller diameter from the dealers.

Bugger.

Carl

I'm guessing your OPC will be able to help or one of the Porsche Independents or Race Teams like Parr in West Sussex.

I hope you find a speedy solution.

I'm guessing your OPC will be able to help or one of the Porsche Independents or Race Teams like Parr in West Sussex.

I hope you find a speedy solution.

Thanks for the reply, do you know what them things are actually called?

Carl

No I'm sorry I do not.

Carl do you know any of the guys here on S9's who could help?

Carl do you know any of the guys here on S9's who could help?

No, I don't think I know anyone on here, it's a case of ringing the dealers in the morning, lets see what they have to say once I try and describe them to the parts guy, don't even know what I would call them.

Carl

No, I don't think I know anyone on here, it's a case of ringing the dealers in the morning, lets see what they have to say once I try and describe them to the parts guy, don't even know what I would call them.

Carl

Hi Carl and welcome.

If it was me, I'd speak to Jasmine Porschalink (Brian Goff), who are better than OPC's for genuine parts in my experience and will likely sort this from your pictures for you.

Or Steve at JZM, if he don't know then I will eat my shorts.

just spoke to the main agent and there is only that part above listed for cars with both carbons and steel, best get my thinking cap on.

Carl

Managed to sus this I reckon, the lugs actually fit on top of the pccb hub rather than on the hub itself like it does on the steel disc's, it's a case of remove the lugs, fit the carbon discs and then refit the lugs.

Carl

Is the wheel itself centre lock

If the holes are smaller, maybe they fit directly onto the bolts/lugs and you don't need these adapters??

Is the wheel itself centre lock

If the holes are smaller, maybe they fit directly onto the bolts/lugs and you don't need these adapters??

Yes the cars a centre lock wheel hub design, stripped it down again today to fit and it's all very strange, the lugs actually locate into the back of the wheels and obviously keep the wheel and brake disc etc tight and true, here a picture of the back of the wheel and a lug I have removed from the hub.

Removed the lugs from the hub hoping the would bolt in on the front face as that seems the most logical but they feel a bit tight and until I know for sure I don't want to carry on further and risk damage.

The original discs are held and support from the rear so the lugs are bolted in the hub and the discs slide over the lugs. (Very simple)

As you can see, I am now thinking these brakes may have been sold from a car that didn't have centre lock wheels?

Carl

Last edited:
Maybe you can get the mount plate bit itself for centre lock wheels and transfer the disc over?

Well I went to see a friend and whipped the front wheel off to see what's what, found the bells to have larger holes than the ones I have and the part number are identical bar the last digit, went to see my engineer friend and got him the put the bells in his lathe and open up the holes by 2mm, the results are

Have to say it was a faf but at least it got sussed in the end, whilst the wheels were off gave the arches a good clean.

Back in the garage now, will get round to the rears in the week if I can.

Carl

Yes, the bells...

Well done, agree the bells might be diff for centre lock and non centre lock

Back