Newbie question - Race helmet

H

Hinds_911

Hi All

Can anyone suggest a motorsport helmet to purchase or where I can get one apart from demontweeks. They seem to range from a little to a lot to a lot a lot. Would need to try on also. I have been told that car helmets have to be fire rated unlike motorcycle helmets. Any tips would be much appreciated. Have a good day all.

Fit & comfort are the key - try GPR at Silverstone

Bel start at £180 ish

Autosport would have been a great place to buy

Hi All

Can anyone suggest a motorsport helmet to purchase or where I can get one apart from demontweeks. They seem to range from a little to a lot to a lot a lot. Would need to try on also. I have been told that car helmets have to be fire rated unlike motorcycle helmets. Any tips would be much appreciated. Have a good day all.

Can not recommend demontweeks enough.
Have a look at the Stilo range. Think they still have some of the old range left at 1.5k, still FIA approved .

Last edited:
Demon tweets, speak to Paul Jones and tell him I sent you. You'll get a great discount and as always, loads of help.

Arai gp6s is the best value imo. Had three of these over the years. Stilo are very popular and offer some great features.

Most important of all is fit, do not buy one that is too big just because it feels comfortable. It should push on your cheeks and feel tight all round. Also make sure you put a balaclava on when testing the fit.

Cheap helmets for cheap head - remember its not a fashion item, its there to keep you alive

go try them on, its fit that matters not brand or ££ D Tweeks or GPR best selection really

Arai gp5- W is my choice, Stilo as above are also nice quality

if going racing get one with HANS posts - DON'T were HANS on trackdays though, I think they are dangerous with the wrong seats/ belts and do restrict vision. You should never be pushing hard enough on a TD to need the protection of a HANS

check date as well - they have a life span in motorsport so don't buy old stock !

Last edited:
Can not recommend demontweeks enough.
Have a look at the Stilo range. Think they still have some of the old range left at 1.5k, still FIA approved .

As above, also play around with the padding. It does make a big difference.

Thanks a lot all, looks like Demon Tweeks it is

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if going racing get one with HANS posts - DON'T were HANS on trackdays though, I think they are dangerous with the wrong seats/ belts and do restrict vision. You should never be pushing hard enough on a TD to need the protection of a HANS

+1 to the gp5w

However have to disagree slightly re HANS, if full 6 point harnesses are used, HANS is not a bad idea at all IMO as long as the belts are setup properly.

I raced for many years and tried several different makes including Shoei, Bell and then moved onto Arai. I then stuck with Arai as I felt they were extremely well made, comfortable and offered good protection. I was very pleased to be wearing a quality helmet when Luke Hines nose cone flew off his Formula Ford and hit me on the head at over 90 mph, the Arai helmet stood up to the impact exceptionally well.

Another vote for Arai . Best lids money can buy

Stand 21........ End of, but if it's only for track days any skid lid will do.

Thanks guys, take your comments on board

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheap helmets for cheap head - remember its not a fashion item, its there to keep you alive

go try them on, its fit that matters not brand or ££ D Tweeks or GPR best selection really

check date as well - they have a life span in motorsport so don't buy old stock !

Gotta disagree with the HANS comment... if you have a mechanical failure on a TD, it's the same wall you may hit as if you were in a race.

Gotta disagree with the HANS comment... if you have a mechanical failure on a TD, it's the same wall you may hit as if you were in a race.

I think the vision restriction outweighs the potential for a hard crash on a trackday personally

trackday pace isn't at a level where there is not enough margin to recover most things or at least nothing that might become a neck snapping event IMO no one should be driving at close to 100% of their ability at a TD really to leave that margin, in a race you drive at 100% plus

I wouldn't drive a race car without one however

Last edited:
Agree with the less than 100% comment, no roll cage, would like to drive the car home, and the intention is so much more about being able to run the car more freely, not crazy, though I may find that I have crazy natural ability and can drive at 110% anyway :8):

So regarding the hans post there was comment around roll cage and harnesses, the car won't have either. Is this a requirement?

Cheers all

Agree with the less than 100% comment, no roll cage, would like to drive the car home, and the intention is so much more about being able to run the car more freely, not crazy, though I may find that I have crazy natural ability and can drive at 110% anyway :8):

So regarding the hans post there was comment around roll cage and harnesses, the car won't have either. Is this a requirement?

Cheers all

Hans D wont work with a normal lap belt...Agree with what Clive says its TD, no ones paying you to set a time, enjoy your self arrive in your car, go home in your car......
be safe......

Cheers all

Cage and harness not a requirement on a TD (unless you run slicks that is I believe) - however definatley do not wear a HANS without correct seat, belts and cage etc

+1 to the gp5w

However have to disagree slightly re HANS, if full 6 point harnesses are used, HANS is not a bad idea at all IMO as long as the belts are setup properly.

Yep another here for Arai GP5W - love it.

Back