DVLA and conning the Public.

Mycroft

Banned
Cars owned: Getting a King-Cab Rat with a V8
I'll cut to the chase... why the hell do we put up with this bunch of racketeers?

Doubtless we all know about the 'overlapping month' scam on the purchase of cars and that is a great concern but not the one I am really angry about.

I am also really angry at how supine the British road user is.

My beef... so you buy your VED, you can pay for it in one go or you can pay monthly.

Either method you are paying in advance.

So why the bloody hell is there a 'finance charge' for monthly payers?

Have we become so weak minded that no-one, absolutely no-one has raised this total scam?

Finance charges can only morally be applied if you gain an advantage for something by delaying payment.

That delayed payment should attract a charge, but as everyone is paying in advance no-one should be charged 'interest', the ten payments for the year are all in advance.

There is no moral case for interest to be charged, it is a false finance charge and is in my opinion a cousin or close relative to fraud.

It must be remembered that the DVLA/Vosa is an Executive arm of the Govt. and as such what is occurring is the same as if all of us, but in particular those on PAYE were charged interest on our payments to HMRC because we couldn't pay the full years tax in one go.

Yet because we are all so immersed in the idea that staged payments attracts charges we have lost sight of the reality.

It's fraud and not a peep from the AA, RAC, websites or blogs.

It amazes me how in the light of all the failures and irritations promulgated by the vile body that is the DVLA/Vosa no-one has burnt the place down, come the revolution brothers... it's on the list, it's high on the list of what has to go.

Huge covert tax in my view, for example, I just traded in a Passat with 1o months tax, as a trader, I will loose that when I sell it :(

Not a single one of the 'special interest' bodies that are supposed to have drivers interests at heart has a said a damned word!

Has the SMMT done anything?

Last edited:
No idea, might call the RMI tomorrow, as I am a member.

Keep us updated Lighty, good stuff, the all pervading idea that interest accrues on every staged transaction even if it's a pre-payment activity needs to be challenged.

This has really royally fooked the trader that wants/needs to drive the cars on the forecourt. We will have to purchase another set of trade plates now and the selling point of 'long tax' has now gone too.

There is no proper 'push back' in this Country.

We all complain singly and not with a concerted voice.

'Some one' ought to start a proper push back site on the net.

I could call it 'Repellendum' (latin for dissent)... would it be a goer though?

This has really royally fooked the trader that wants/needs to drive the cars on the forecourt. We will have to purchase another set of trade plates now and the selling point of 'long tax' has now gone too.

I suppose 'snap sales' go west too!

You have to have insurance on the system to tax the damned thing now, so the Saturday morning sale and drive off is a nightmare now I'd guess.

I suppose 'snap sales' go west too!

You have to have insurance on the system to tax the damned thing now, so the Saturday morning sale and drive off is a nightmare now I'd guess.
Quite the opposite, selling cars is simple. It's the fact that any cars we put into trade are untaxed from that point on meaning we cannot legally drive them without trade plates and certainly not for pleasure.
Have to find a way around that one ;)

Quite the opposite, selling cars is simple. It's the fact that any cars we put into trade are untaxed from that point on meaning we cannot legally drive them without trade plates and certainly not for pleasure.
Have to find a way around that one ;)

Just tax it on the green slip

Just tax it on the green slip

That's what we used to do. Cant anymore without registering it to another keeper! That's the whole problem.

I just drive em without tax, fook em :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. It's easy when in the IOW, but when I have to travel to Birmingham each month, cameras will be all over me.

Back