MAC F1, More Problums

I heard it was done like the Virgin one, but our mate R, wanted stupid money.....

Not so.

The Virgin deal was miles from being done David. The Sony title sponsor deal was the one to be done but it got bogged down in detail (both sides to be fair) and then they had their corporate hacking issue and it (F1) became very much secondary.

Not so.

The Virgin deal was miles from being done David. The Sony title sponsor deal was the one to be done but it got bogged down in detail (both sides to be fair) and then they had their corporate hacking issue and it (F1) became very much secondary.

My point being G, that Virgin offered what was at the time was considered to be fair amount, and our mate says, "what per race"
Looks like Sony had a lucky escape eh.....

My point being G, that Virgin offered what was at the time was considered to be fair amount, and our mate says, "what per race"
Looks like Sony had a lucky escape eh.....

But would you want to do business with Branson and his cronies?? I think not....hence why the deal didn't actually happen and nothing to do with Ron and his fiscal demands in this case.

The Sony deal was a perfect fit for both parties so a shame it didn't happen...I have a good idea who the potential Title sponsor is for 2016-2018 but the team's performance in 2015 is seriously hampering the ability to conclude that deal from what I understand...and Boullier falling out with Honda doesn't help - he will be for the chop very soon IMO.

But would you want to do business with Branson and his cronies?? I think not....hence why the deal didn't actually happen and nothing to do with Ron and his fiscal demands in this case.

The Sony deal was a perfect fit for both parties so a shame it didn't happen...I have a good idea who the potential Title sponsor is for 2016-2018 but the team's performance in 2015 is seriously hampering the ability to conclude that deal from what I understand...and Boullier falling out with Honda doesn't help - he will be for the chop very soon IMO.

spill the beans then ....

spill the beans then ....

know all about the Virgin deal, but prefer to chat over a beer....Ron has publicly stated that he wont lower the rate card, he still thinks they are a top tier team, he uses ManUtd as an example, ie, if they dropped down a division would the sponsors expect to pay less...he's completely lost the plot imv...

As for sacking Eric what good will that do, what has he done wrong? he has nothing to with the engine, chassis, driver choice, he's just the voice front man for the Press.

I am told by those that know, that the chassis is about "onit",( not like in 13) the problem is the Lump, until they either fix the engine issues or take on a new supplier, its going to be more of the same, for 16 also.

Such a Shame........

No doubt at all the chassis is a front row one and the issues are all with the Honda engine and their hybrid technology - that is well known.

Someone has to be the fall guy with these things and if Honda get fed up of Eric openly complaining there is every chance his head will go on the block to appease Honda.

Just out interest David do you know what the Mc Laren rate card for title sponsorship is?

Last edited:
No doubt at all the chassis is a front row one and the issues are all with the Honda engine and their hybrid technology - that is well known.

Someone has to be the fall guy with these things and if Honda get fed up of Eric openly complaining there is every chance his head will go on the block to appease Honda.

Just out interest David do you know what the Mc Laren rate card for title sponsorship is?

This is a hard one to call on who will go, if any one...can not see Eric saying anything that has not been cleared with Ron 1st, he's a yes man, don't think he has anything like the sway that Martin used to have. Personally don't think he's done a bad job taking into account what he has to work with...

The rate card... in the past, if what I understand to be correct in the past, then yes to some. Going forward, if the San bank and JW have given notice to withdraw, and it looks like title £ will be down this season, I would think that they will be happy with what they can get to an extent, you have only got to take a look at lower teams at the back end to see just how hard it is to attract a sponsor.

I was quoted around £1m for sponsorship, that enabled my organisation to bid for works ( it also increased our probability of success) it would have taken us 4-5 yrs to recoup the sponsorship cost. And for that we didn't get our name anywhere near the car, but access to all of the F1 races, The number of tickets would vary depending on location, hospitality, pit walks etc....
and the use of MTC for client visits, mtg rooms, product launches etc...

I was quoted around £1m for sponsorship, that enabled my organisation to bid for works ( it also increased our probability of success) it would have taken us 4-5 yrs to recoup the sponsorship cost. And for that we didn't get our name anywhere near the car, but access to all of the F1 races, The number of tickets would vary depending on location, hospitality, pit walks etc....
and the use of MTC for client visits, mtg rooms, product launches etc...

You have to pay £1m so you can bid for work !

The rate card... in the past, if what I understand to be correct in the past, then yes to some. Going forward, if the San bank and JW have given notice to withdraw, and it looks like title £ will be down this season, I would think that they will be happy with what they can get to an extent, you have only got to take a look at lower teams at the back end to see just how hard it is to attract a sponsor.

You can see how easily that something like this, in F1, would be the start of the end for a team such as McLaren. If they cant attract the cash, then they will simply not have the means to invest in a front running car unless a very, VERY, wealthy benefactor takes pity on them because there will be precious few brands looking to support their current ability with top flight sponsorship dollar. After all, why would you...?

And if they think the money will come from road car, well then we all know this ain't happening.

Personally, I fear this is the start of a long period at the back / middle of the grid for McLaren, the likes of which Williams has only just started to emerge from recently after a period of some ten years +

Mind you, I don't really follow F1 so what do I know.

How do you know how good the chassis is Gareth as the thing is too slow to show anything meaningful? JB still moans about balance as well!

How do you know how good the chassis is Gareth as the thing is too slow to show anything meaningful? JB still moans about balance as well!

in the slow speed corners it looks ok A, but when it exits it just has no power or very little power for a short period....

that is their current model of operation, Sponsorship they called it.

I'd call it fraud, if I tried to do that in my business I'd get locked up.

in the slow speed corners it looks ok A, but when it exits it just has no power or very little power for a short period....

Sure but that isn't proof it is a front row chassis

The balance of the chassis and overall handling is good - as reported by both race drivers and the test driver - and is acknowledged as such by other leading teams looking at the data.

I've not seen or heard via my contacts at MCL that Jenson moaning about the balance unless he was referring to a specific set up/race recently?

The balance of the chassis and overall handling is good - as reported by both race drivers and the test driver - and is acknowledged as such by other leading teams looking at the data.

I've not seen or heard via my contacts at MCL that Jenson moaning about the balance unless he was referring to a specific set up/race recently?

Jenson quoted in Autosport today:

We've probably had more parts on this car - aerodynamic and mechanical parts - than I've ever had in my Formula 1 career, and this is with the limitations on aerodynamics given the regulations."

Sounds like there is a long way to go not just on the engine

Jenson quoted in Autosport today:

We've probably had more parts on this car - aerodynamic and mechanical parts - than I've ever had in my Formula 1 career, and this is with the limitations on aerodynamics given the regulations."

Sounds like there is a long way to go not just on the engine

So nothing about the chassis per se then....

So nothing about the chassis per se then....

I took your comment to mean apart from the engine this is a front row car. Isn't that what you meant?

The verdict according to Messrs Brundle & Davidson at Monza was that the chassis is some way off the best but they did acknowledge that could be bc they're running less downforce than others to compensate for lack of power. To an amateur observer that seems to hold water to me.

Back