InsBro

Administrator
Staff member
Cars owned: RRS P510e, DBX 707, DBS SL, 992 GT3 T, John Deere
Have you guys seen this?

12227174_10205351626412906_1515307622414772024_n.jpg

12227025_10153609222528260_1250210627514856259_n.jpg

Taken from here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153609222528260&set=pcb.10153609222578260&type=3&theater

Their reply on their FB

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1743197422567794&id=1743190832568453

Yeah been reading it.

Here's a link to the full story. It is a build done by Paul Knapp on his Time Attack Evo, the car was sent to Custom Cages for a cage to be installed and some seam welding. When it came back he took off the roof to fit his carbon roof and found a few problems!

Link: www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=512901&page17

I can't imagine there being very good penetration to some of those welds so can you imagine having to test that cage out the hard way - OMFG !
I think the MSA need to jump in this and see for themselves as cages are one of if not the most important, safety aspects of a competition car.

I can't imagine there being very good penetration to some of those welds so can you imagine having to test that cage out the hard way - OMFG !
I think the MSA need to jump in this and see for themselves as cages are one of if not the most important, safety aspects of a competition car.

That's what some of the guys who are welders on the MLR have said also the wrong welding type used in the wrong areas on a couple of them :-o

That is pretty shocking, reminds me of my O level metal work project, made a pair of axle stands, my welding was shocking in those days and never improved, however I was a fairly good artist with Isopon P38 compound. I created some fantastic welds out of the stuff, once painted looked fantastic and did the job for the O level, you all be pleased to hear I have not welded since!

That is pretty shocking, reminds me of my O level metal work project, made a pair of axle stands, my welding was shocking in those days and never improved, however I was a fairly good artist with Isopon P38 compound. I created some fantastic welds out of the stuff, once painted looked fantastic and did the job for the O level, you all be pleased to hear I have not welded since!

Lol.
Old pie tins , P38 and several coats of thick black under seal, my 12C always passes its MOT 😘

The issue is that simply looking at a weld is not the whole picture. For example, the MSA did a study on strength of welds, the industry rule of thumb is that TIG is stronger than MIG and the MSA data showed the opposite. I asked for the MSA data to be released but they refused saying its proprietary - I know as we are one of the recognised cage builders so we attend the technical meetings. Also the old adage of a pretty weld is a strong weld is also wrong, a neat and tidy TIG can be a lot weaker than an untidy MIG, in short simply by looking at a weld is not an accurate measure of its strength. MIG can also be used to weld T45, however we usually TIG as its neater, looks better and that suits the higher cost T45 tube, however to say T45 cannot be welded with MIG is bollocks. In awkward places (such as areas where you cant get all the way round the tube (such as a roof space) then MIG, with longer penetration if done right will give you a better join than a less penetrative TIG weld where you cant get as much round the join.

Dont get me wrong, I've have my fallings out with Roger in the past, and the work seen in some of the shots is a little untidy and I would ask for some rework if it were me, but to show it up as 'lethal' is a little OTT.

This is well worth the time to watch - sitting in the bath on iPad etc - ive watched both episodes

You can see why and how he avoids the awkward welding points

This is well worth the time to watch - sitting in the bath on iPad etc - ive watched both episodes

what blokes have a bath?? :)

what blokes have a bath?? :)

You should hope all!!!

Clearwater-Nebbia-Natural-Stone-Bath-1600-x-800mm-N14-n-p.jpg

I still keep seeing this and i sense a purchase soon LOL

Subliminal advertising should be banned!!

Not exactly a surprise but overall very poorly handled from both sides I'd say.

It was a missed weld and a slightly scruffy weld, both needed sorting but without all the hyperbole and gnashing of teeth imo.

Err, read the rest of Facebook. The owner seems a complete twat

I read the whole thing mate, and if we're talking about Bruce I agree, I've had my run ins with him myself. However when this all came out it was all 'my car will kill me, they've used sub standard tubing' in in effect it was some shitty welds on an otherwise acceptable job. I'm not defending anyone, merely that the way both parties handled it was shit.

Sorry John I meant Insbro!

When he posted it things looked good but since then the owner basically continued to post shite and it all gets messy with legal threats etc

was beeng told very bad things about Cages years ago so this is no real surprise

anyone welding a cages should be certificated and really using Tig not mig if you want a smart job

2 parts - a 3hr bath !

was beeng told very bad things about Cages years ago so this is no real surprise

anyone welding a cages should be certificated and really using Tig not mig if you want a smart job

As I said earlier, MIG has been shown to be the stronger weld than TIG, do you want it to look pretty or be strong?

Back